Monday, September 26, 2005

Surfs Up Brah!

Well guys I'm back from my week long surf break in Portugal. It was absolutely Amazing. The best Trip I've ever done, by far. The people who run it were charming as were all the people on it. I had a blast. I have a bunch of good pictures but for some reason Flickr isn't cooperating today, I'll try tommorrow. This trip (www.atlanticriders.com) was out of this world and the scenery of Portugal blew me away. It constantly surprises me how different it is here, even from say Spain. The regions we visited all consisted of something slightly different and it was really quite interesting for me to compare and contrast, and then spend the rest of the day on the beach with a surf board -- SWEET! We surfed many different beaches in Portugal and I got it together and stood up and rode some waves, which was thrilling to finally learn well.

Here are some of the places we surfed:

Figarrera-da foz This is a former stop on the Surf Championship Tour where we had d 2-3ft waves

Somouco Beach A mere 5 minute walk from our campsite so we enjoyed alot of surf and food, and reading Taj Burrows book of Hot Surfing, which I think I might buy myself for Xmas! lol. This guys has some pretty classic "TB Tips" I read it after a morning sesh in the water and then went out for a afternoon surf, it was dead still. Heres my "TW Tip" check the water before you put on your wetsuit. we enjoyed two nights here.

Baleal Beach In Pernich we surfed only on Baleal after checking supertubos and balich. I caught a few wicked 3-4 footers but never managed to stay up for more then a second or two. The wind here was killing our shot at good waves so we followed the sun down all the wave to the south tip in a region called the Algarve.

Ammoreira Beach We looked at some amazing beaches here on Costa de Vincente (Odeciexe for one) but this one takes the cake. Two days of solid surf all on this one beach. Crazy Riptides and good waves in the back for the more advanced surfers (head-highs on one day) and I caught some really powerful waves that made it easy for me to figgure out the game. I ditched my wettie and went in boardshorts and that made all the difference, the last day I was feeling really good and doing well. The area we camped in here was amazing to with all sorts of Cork trees and it really is heaven on earth. I think I will definatly be back.

Ok guys I'm off to tour a wine factory in Porto. Oktoberfest is coming up. Talk to you soon!

-Willis

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9/26/2005 7:19 AM  
Blogger Wayne Willis said...

I remember your first attempt at surfing, on Kauai, December, 1999. You and I both struggled with staying balanced on the board. I never was able to master it. Glad to see that you have gotten at least to the novice stage.

Molly will definitely have something to day about surfing. It certainly is part of her life.

Glad you had a good time. Be careful out there!

dad

9/26/2005 7:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWEET!!! SO when you come back to SD for the morning glass, we can rip overhead reef breaks, yeah? mmw

9/26/2005 7:46 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yeah -- what she said!!

Sounds like you are having a great trip.

Be Safe.

bb

9/26/2005 4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home