Sunday, August 14, 2005

I don't need alot of Encouragement

heres the comment from my dad
----------------
I think uploading any essays or links to other stuff you are seeing or thinking would be great. Travel is about self-discovery, and posting thoughts, analysis, links, facts, etc., would be great (to me at least).

I kind of want to share some of the book reviews with you and as long as i have one consenter I figgured I'd test out sharing my reviews. Here is my review on Kite Runner, I'm not an incredably good reviewer but I really liked the book. I think tommorrow I'll add a little bit more about the personal impact on me, but heres the review. Beware if your going to read it...

Book Review: The Kite Runner

I recently just finished reading The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini. It was suggested reading for Steve Chen's Cal Poly Orientation Class, I stole it from him and plan to post it back soon. It is the debut novel of this Afghani Author despite being extremely insightful and artfully written, I enjoyed it much and read it in less then 3 days. Onto the Book...

Meet Hassan, as the kite runner he is the books namesake and was childhood friends with the narrator and supposed author of this tale, Amir. Amir is the son of a wealthy businessman in Kabul. He has never refered to Hassan as a friend because in truth Hassan is his Servant. Despite a kinship and loyalty for Amir that Hassan openly displays, Amir is haunted by the differing social statures and caves to percieved pressure to not accept Hassan as an equal.

Much of the first section of the Novel is spent following Amir through his childhood where he is haunted by his fathers disdain for him, and favor for Hassan. Hassan is included in Family trips and rewards that Amir feels should only be for him, and acts out this jealousy by playing cruel jokes on Hassan assualting his intelligence and questioning his loyalty.

Throughout the Novel Hassan is a bright and blunt man. He seems to have a connection with Amir bordering on supernatural. He can often read his young friends thoughts and discern his cryptic actions for what they really mean. Hassan proves his loyalty to Amir in an extremely dangerous situation, Amir then repays his friend by shamefully abandoning him in his moment of need.

Hassan doesn't care -- he seems to sense the weak character present in Amir, knows that inaction was the only move that Amir would have the courage to make. Hassan accepts this and forgives Amir, throughout the novel Amir and his very spiritual father Ali represent what is the right and honorable path. This path has its antithesis in Amir, and later in Baba, Amir's beloved father. The Book is a focus on bringing together these two paths and coming to terms with past wrongs.

As Amir Travels back to Afghanistan to set his past right, the author begans to take his stance against the Taliban. Amir's small personal struggle against the Taliban's extremeism becomes a metaphor for the positive and negative repercussions from the war on Terror that had forced this unknown arena deep into American hearts and minds. This is not about war and death but simply about the battle for moderation we all must fight in ourselves. Baba's apperance early in the book as a good man who never refuses a beggar, builds orphanages, and works dilligently while enjoying gambling, drinking, and besmirching his son starts off this search of the right balance, but as Baba deteriorates and truths arise upon his death -- the book becomes a tale seeking the unification of the good in Hassan and the malacious past of Amir. A search to tie the two of them together forever.

1 Comments:

Blogger Diane said...

hi- I heard aboput the Kite Runner at your graduation from Caleb or Moll- I read it as soon as I got back to Philly- I agree with your review 100 percent- glad you are bck tothe blogging- its reallyexicitng tot read bout what you are doing--kepp it going'--

8/14/2005 5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home