Thursday, July 14, 2005

Greetings from San Diego,

O man, the weather is perfect here! So great, unfortunatly the waves have not been cooperating and I haven't surfed in the past two days... tommorrows gonna be awesome sets, I feel it in me bones! I got a haircut, unfortunatly for most of you reading this... It's now a much more distinctive mohawk. I went down to Birdrock Barber on Garnett Street here in Pacific Beach. Nice lady name Cheryl cut me up and shipped me out. We had a nice conversation and I gave her this site address -- So if your reading this, thanks for the cut. I like to support local businesses over conglomerates so if your in Pacific Beach look her up.


For all of you reading this I'd like to see some comments, there is a spot underneath each post where you can share your views. I'm hoping that will give me more contact with you guys back home and everyone I meet, but also I think it might spark some interesting conversations between my dad and Xobile Rawactin who is a travelling student from South Africa. Who knows, life is all about connections - and the best ones occur in weird circumstances -- so I'll get off my soapbox now, but I hope you guys reply! If it's personal feel free to email me.
Willis.Tyler@gmail.com

I'm very convinced that my attention grabbing haircut is a negative and I plan to shave it off in Denver, after I scare Nancy and embaress Caleb of course! The final straw on this is that I left Birdrock and within 3 minutes a group of punk rock Jr. Highschool girls gave me a Sieg Heil (you know heil hitler) and that is definatly something I would prefer not to be associated with. Not a big Nazi fan. I enthralled (or bored) my sister and Vince with some of the peculiar happenings of Hitler as a young man. How he was kind of a loser in Vienna, and his entry into the Nazi Party, and failed overthrow attempt. Truly -- history according to Frank Navvarro (Modern European History and Facing History were definatly two of my favorite classes, maybe I'll teach them someday?). Watch out Navi... I'm coming for your job!

We went to Fred's Mexican Cafe (http://www.mooserestaurantgroup.com/fred/branch3/cinco.html) also on Garnett Street, and it was pretty sweet! Huge plates that left Vince and Molly Stuffed, I only had a couple rolled Tacos, I'm trying to watch my figure! Again, a crucial place to vist in P.B. They had a Tequilla Wall of Fame that I plan to join after I'm 21. The atmosphere is nice and the help is nice if not that attentive. It's cheap and gives big portions (1 lb. burritos), one lunch can doggie bag like 3 meals. Nuff' said.

We checked the surf and decided instead to rent Kalifornia with David Duchovny and Brad Pitt. Weird movie -- Do not watch it if you don't want to walk out asking what the heck just happened. It was good though - Molly's recomendations are always a little weird but good. Cooky is a nice descriptive word for her choices.

I decided to take a walk, Vince came along but doubled back prefering instead to watch In Good Company. I walked up and down the main drag here and just soaked in the atmosphere, thinking and being quiet. I found an STA travel which was good for helping with Eurail Pass. I'm watching these 20somethings interact and enjoy the drunken club life and it's interesting to me. I met a young guy named Adrian who was one of 3 people to engage me as I was hanging outside. I told him of my travels and he wished me luck. "Oh thats amazing brother -- that's really good to do, wish I could do that. Like, Where you gonna go?" His friend looked bored and they were both not exactly sobert but I told him the short version that I have become pretty good at reciting. Not even 3 minutes later he was off to a different bar to wait in another line and wished me luck. It got me to thinking -- That guy won't remember my name tommorrow, yet he will be in my brain because I'm sober and he's the first nice guy to engage me in PB so got me thinking on connections. How we all interact as humans -- people we love, people we like, even the people we hate influence the course of our life.

"It's not what you know, it's who you know"

That's always been one of my favorite proverbs and being in a young town not 7 blocks away from a vibrant club scene makes me think even more about who we meet and how we meet them. What values do we place on these relationships. When I'm clubbing in Europe will I meet a better quality of people then if I stopped people on the street, or in my hostel. I don't think so... yet people go clubbing to be social, because it's more acceptable. If I were a European kid traveling your hometown and I engaged you at a restaurant or on the bus... how would you react? I'd be some weird foreigner that scared you, or that interupted your day. I realize that we can't meet everyone and that it seems nessacary, but I'm starting to question that. Can we step away from our Big Mac's for one second to share a nice moment with the person in the next booth? Who knows, I haven't found the right answer I'm only starting to answer the questions.

Thinking about all of that of course made me miss Nat terribly. I planned to sulk in a denny's booth, but I was broke and not hungry so I decided to head home. caught up on all my internet junk and got some sleep

I didn't sleep well and I had a couple nightmares, I think it was probably just trip stress and I hope desperatly it's not my Malaria Meds. They do supposedly cause weird dreams, however these were really poignant to current happenings and not like superweird so I think it's fine, I'm not worried about it yet. Waking up to Vince BLARING bad music was fun, but It let me catch a call from Natalie. It was wonderful to hear her voice and I just sat and looked at her picture in my wallet for awhile.

I cooked up some Pasta from the night before (great entrees but the service and atmosphere was so bad that I don't want to support that local place) and then after I ate Vince and My sister went to the Bagel Place I walked off and came back to find them gone, I felt bad but neither seemed to sweat it much so alls well that ends well. Vince and I watched Office Space (I know, sad and fat to be wasting SD weather on a movie). We walked down to The Surf Club (on Garnett) and bought my sister a Wall Rack for her board. It was a TY gift from Vince and I (Mostly from Vince, I don't want to take credit for his awesome Idea -- It was the perfect thing for her and he defenately brunted most of the heavy lifting on that success). After that I went across the street to STA travel and purchase my rediculously expensive but invaluble Eurail Pass. The Chatty Kathy's at STA kept me entertained and I was almost late for Dinner with Carl Caskey.

Mr. Caskey is a friend of my dad's. They went to Highschool together and played football. He's a riot, I got more dirt on my dad then I've had in years (which is still relativly minor -- I'm begining to think my dad's been 50 his whole life). Anyway I listened to stories about the old gang, and all the Sports they played (they were state champs in football, baseball, and I think basketball). He's still a big sports fan and told me about hanging out with some pros and stars -- sounds like quite a life. Really interesting guy, and we are both History buffs so we got along very well. I felt a little young and like I had to prove myself so I'm not sure how great I came off but we got along very well. After a remarkably entertaining 2 hours or so we all said our goodbyes and Carl left with his 5 year old granddaughter and her dad. Again I started thinking about the whole relationship theme, this is becoming a repetative part of this trip!

We rented a few more movies with my free coupons from blockbuster and I have been on the computer since then. Molly's second cooky hit was Employee of the Month which I've wanted to see forever, and it was very good, but definatly not for everyone -- more then a little quirky.

I am planning to Visit Mexico tommorrow and then after surfing (fingers crossed) I'll be boarding a bus to denver at 1045pm (30 hours long!)

Sorry for these rediculously long posts, I'm going to have to start cutting back on what I share or just start breaking these up into managable chuncks... stick with me while I figgure out what works. Goodnight ya'll I'm gonna go watch Extraordinary Visions.

2 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Willis said...

re: Fred's fiesta -- did you try "Kiss my Taco Tuesdays"?

7/15/2005 9:10 PM  
Blogger Tyler Willis said...

nope - should have!

7/18/2005 8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home