Thursday, June 23, 2005

Introduction to Guerrila Culture

Welcome to Class!

I will be your Teacher, Student, Teachers-Aide, Dean, and Impartial recorder.

The aim of this game is simple, I have decided to forego the traditional path of collegiate studies for one year to attempt to find myself in the 6.5 Billion inhabitants of Earth. That is it, simple eh?

Here's the lowdown, I decided that I have absolutely no clue what I wanted to do with my life, and as a subpar (to put it eloquently) student I had the options of Junior College or Work. Work seemed like a deteriant to ever getting a further education, and 2 more years at High School on Steriods seemed like a less then attractive option, so I thought to myself, "self - you need to get your head on straight, what would help you do that?"

I need a noble goal to chase after. I want to find something I love that doesn't even seem like work when I'm there, but my ego requires more, I need something I feel good about in the morning (and that I can shove in the face of those critize me). That's what I need to find. Gut feeling tells me I'm going to end up in the educational field, who knows maybe I could help kids like me who don't live in the real world. Teaching requires learning in an institution and I'm just not ready for that, but I will need to deal with people, to understand the real world, to have understanding far superior to a student so that I can honestly help them. This will not be blind leading the blind, I need to wake up and use my brain, not only to teach someday, but also to learn about life and continue my exploration of it. If I end up being a Investment Banker, so be it, at least I will have excellent experiences.

None of this really explains why this blog exsists, but it's 5 in the morning and I'm trying to be impressive. Basically I realized that I have much less to offer society then I thought, and that I was very affected by "I'm 18 and I know everything-itis" which plagues most of us during highschool and/or college. I love history and most of my favorite history teachers tell me how much travel has shaped the outlook they carry on the world.
Teaching in Lituania, Stealing a breadtruck in Spain, or visiting key WW2 sights have given my teachers a better understanding of the events. I'm hoping this translates to my life and to more modern events. I have many passions and I don't know which one to pursue (can't do them all, not enough time on this earth); Music, Movies, Sports, Computers, History, Games of Chance, Writing, Photography, Anthropology, and many other topics all intrest me, and while I would be able to read about these in college, I want more of a hands-on study. What does it feel like to play poker in Prauge, or Nepal? I wonder if I could write a book in Laos? What are the people like in the world. By studying all the things I find intresting in a completely unknown place I hope to find myself by studying strangers. Basically I am looking for answers to big honking life questions and I will be chronicling my adventures, I encourage you to read along.

Now that you have a semblance of my state of mind, let me introduce the theme of this Travel blog -- Formal Study.

I'm approaching this like an academic class. I will assign myself reading, dive headfirst into hands-on training, document my notes and study for the final exam. The final exam will not be written or graded, but will be based on how much I learn, I have a fixed amount to spend on my travels, and I intend to get every bit of knowledge I can squeeze out of it. This is my first year of college and I'm footing the bill so I feel a need to get the most out of it. I hope that the essays along the way will not only entertain you, but also explore my potential for being a published author.

I will be alone in my instruction but I expect others to help me. I know I will meet interesting travelers and locals who will help me, and I make this public to hear from anyone who finds it interesting. I don't quite have my syllabus finished, but I want to be clear that the observers participation is greatly appreciated. Look for a few pre-trip updates, and then a somewhat daily breakdown of my trip as I experience it (obviously some parts will be more prone to spark study). I look forward to sharing the next year with you.

Tyler H Willis

1 Comments:

Blogger Wayne Willis said...

I'm really proud of this, Tyler.

7/15/2005 8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home