Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Flamenco!

Hello All, Im still in Madrid.

Last night I saw a flamenco show at a local place called Las Tablas and man it was AMAZING!

The skill and just pure ability that these performers have is pretty cool. I got some sub-par pictures, but on a plus did get to speak to the main dancer for a bit. Shes a pretty cool lady. For those of you that don't know, Flamenco is a Dance and song show where the singers clap and stomp there feet to provide procussion, there are guitar players and the dancing is all about movement as well as providing a rhythm, much like tap dance. The show is surreal.

Unlike other dance, the dancers are not all about pretty movement (although some of the movements require great grace, some are quite choppy and are nessacary to get the right foot rhythm). If your ever in Spain or anywhere where professional Flamenco is preformed, I highly recomend seeing it, it's lovely.

Shows can be expensive however, LT was a steal at 30 or so Euros for a 2 hour show. The atmosphere is enticeing and overall the experience is great (compare it to a jazz bar setting with lively entertainment).

After the show ended I went to my favorite local bar (ok ok the only local bar I've been to) and saw a live band called "Poker Band" and they were decent. The band was talented and the singer is a master of sounding like other people, but the music was all cover stuff. I did get a pretty nifty picture of me and the singer, and met a rowdy, drunk, Swiss rugby player -- that part was less fun though.

O well I'm all set up for a good nights sleep and then a robo tourist day tommorrow topped off with a good local Jazz Club. Its definatly a good thing!

On other notes, my friend is going to be in Barcelona tommorrow so Im going to go meet him and have a fun few days.

Well kids I'm dying of thirst so its off to get some Auga (vassa, water -- call it what you will; its crucial) and maybe an orange if i can track one down!

O PS - I decided I want to climb Everest, and then I realized how hard and expensive it is. BUT, I still want to, it just may have to be later. Don't worry ma/grandma, I will give you plenty of opportunities to talk me out of it.

-Tyler

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home